Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I earn twice my husband’s salary and pay all the bills — now he hides all his savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I earn twice my husband’s salary and pay all the bills — now he hides all his savings

SOURCE:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-...ved-2019-08-27

Dear Moneyist,

This is something I have not shared with anyone until now. I am embarrassed because my family, friends and colleagues view me as a very intelligent person. I act like someone who has it all together, but deep down I feel otherwise.

I have lived with my husband since 1998, first as boyfriend and girlfriend, then as partners. We got married in 2014. Over the years I have trusted him with money. Each of us has our own bank accounts and we do whatever. I have always have earned at least twice what he makes, but it has never been an issue, as far as I’m aware.

I pay all the bills and take care of everything financially. But after all of these years, I don’t know what’s in his bank account. I do know he is into stocks, but I am afraid to ask. On a few occasions I have asked that we talk about retirement and future money plans, and he has ignored me. I regularly forward him articles about money and retirement, etc., and he simply ignores them.

I am starting to worry because we are almost 50 and have a 16-year-old child who is about to go to college. Should I continue trusting him or gather courage and just push the subject, risking a potential cold war that drags on for weeks?

P.S. We struggle with communication in this relationship. I know he is a loner and a miser. He doesn’t spend much.

Silent Wife in Olathe, Kan.

Ha! smart guy if you ask me

Comment

Working...
    X